"Joy and Gladness"
“Joy and Gladness”
The angel is speaking to Zacharias.
Zacharias was learning of his son to come…
But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John.
“You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.
“For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb.
“And he will turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord their God.
“It is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, TO TURN THE HEARTS OF THE FATHERS BACK TO THE CHILDREN, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous, so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
The birth of John would bring forth…
Many will rejoice at his birth.
- be great in the sight of the Lord
- drink no wine or liquor
- be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb
- turn many of the sons of Israel back to the Lord God
- be the forerunner “Him” - Messiah
- turn the hearts of the fathers back to the children
- turn the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous
- make ready a people prepared for the Lord
Imagine learning all this about your son…before birth.
Imagine learning that he would be the forerunner of Messiah
Such had been prophesied.
Zacharias would have known the prophesies.
What a “faith building” encounter this was…or was it?
How did Zacharias respond?
We will see.
Rejoice in the One Who has come…and is coming again.